Lifecycle: Can't deploy to same environment

Sometimes something happens in my environment where I want to deploy a particular step again to fix it but with the lifecycle in place when I click “Deploy To” I can’t select the environment that I am currently viewing. Here is an example:

Development
UAT
Production

My lifecycle is Any 1. After a successful deploy to UAT I find something goofy and want to redeploy a step in UAT. When I click Deploy To the only options I have are QA and Production. In this case I would have to go to the same release in Dev in order to Deploy To UAT.

It would be nice to deploy to the currently viewed deployment for cleanup scenarios. Is this possible?

Hi Luke,

Thanks for raeching out. Could you please send us a screenshot of the environment selection screen where you cannot see the expected environment?

Thanks!

Dalmiro

Sure. Attached is my lifecycle and when I try to deploy from Production to Production I am unable to select Production. Hope this clarifies my rambling attempt :slight_smile:

Lifecycle.png

Lifecycle2.png

Hi Luke,

I wasnt able to reproduce this on my end. I’m gonna discuss it with the devs and see if they can come up with an idea of what might be causing this.

In the meantime, can you super-confirm that the release you are trying to deploy to the phase “Deploy to Production/Demo” was previously deployed to an environment of the phase “Deploy to staging (any 1)” ?

Thanks!

Dalmiro

I was able to reproduce it 6 days ago but I can’t today. I have done another deployment since then so maybe there was some edge case in play that isn’t visible right now. In the screenshots above I was trying to re-deploy a step in Production but it wouldn’t let me, but now it does. It’s possible that my Stage instance had a different version than production but I can’t remember. I am doing another production put this weekend so I will see if I can reproduce it somehow there.

Hi Luke,

If that happens again, please go to [Your Project] -> Releases -> Release # and send us a screenshot of the Lifecycle tree you’ll see there with all the lifecycle stages in green and grey.

Thanks!

Dalmiro

Okay, I was finally able to see what I saw before and have details. I just did a partial push to production to fix a minor issue. This was only 1 of 20 steps and only to a single role. I also split the deployment into two pushes so I could update half the load balanced web servers. When I went to Promote it to the next 3, I couldn’t select the same environment. If I click Deploy To I can select Production and Demo, but I can’t Promote it from there. Not a big deal, easy work around already exists and it’s a non-standard work flow. Probably not worth pursuing, just glad I could reproduce it so I could convince myself I’m not crazy.

Hi Luke,

This is actually a design choice. We don’t show the same environment you are in when you click on the green Promote button, as we assume the user wants to promote it to a different environment. To deploy to the same environment you’re gonna have to click on the “Deploy to” dialogue like you mentioned.

Dalmiro.