Lifecycle and retrofit

We have this scenario:
We deploy to
DEV(NEW FEATURE ENVIRONNEMENT) ->
PREPROD(NEW FEATURE ENVIRONNEMENT) ->
PROD(NEW FEATURE ENVIRONNEMENT)

Once it’s completed we need to deploy to the bug fixes environnement(The same image as the production) :
DEV(BUGFIXE) ->
PREPROD(BUGFIXE)

The thing is that Octopus don’t let us deploy two times into the same environnement. So, our channel can’t be:
DEV ->
PREPROD - >
PROD ->
DEV ->
PREPROD

Unless we create many environnement wich could be a little cumbersome:
DEV(NEW FEATURE ENVIRONNEMENT)
PREPROD(NEW FEATURE ENVIRONNEMENT)
PROD(NEW FEATURE ENVIRONNEMENT)
DEV ->
PREPROD - >
PROD ->

The solution might have been to create two channel, one from DEV to PROD and another to the retrofit within a BUGFIXE channel but some here don’t like to have to create two release.

Do you have any suggestion?

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Whilst I may need to get some more information from you to better understand what you are having issues with, I can still provide you with some hopefully useful information.

Generally in Octopus, each new application deployment you run should be considered a new release. If you are deploying an application to DEV->PREPROP->PROD, then need to release a hotfix to DEV->PREPROD, a new release should be created to a Channel with those Lifecycles.

Channels were created with exactly your problem in mind. Regardless of how you design this, you will need to have a new release created if you wish to deploy a fix, or a different package to a different Channel’s Lifecycle. Our channels documentation has a lot of helpful information here and is worth checking out if you have not. https://octopus.com/docs/key-concepts/projects/channels

I may have made some assumptions here from the information you have provided. If I has misinterpreted your issue, I will need some more information on how you have modeled your application and what your release pipeline looks like.

Let me know if you have any further questions here. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel