License Server

Hi there,

Can someone point me to details of how an on-premise Octopus Deploy installation communicates with the Octopus license server? Is it one-directional from the on-premise server to the license server? What port(s) are required to be opened? What data is actually sent to the server?

Thanks,

Chris Newton

Hey @christopher.newton,

Currently, licenses don’t communicate externally. There are some things Octopus Server requires a connection for, like Telemetry and syncing the Community Step Template library.

Here is the information on Telemetry: Telemetry - Octopus Deploy
Step Templates: Community step templates - Octopus Deploy

Please let me know if that helps or if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Sounds like I made an incorrect assumption after reading about the licensing and pricing changes: Changes to Octopus Server & Cloud pricing - Octopus Deploy

With the new licensing, are you saying that we’ll continue to make an annual purchase and then enter in our license key as we do now?

Edit: Here is the text from the above link that spawned my initial questions:

"Your instance will periodically connect to our license server to pull down the latest license limits based on the serial number.

Connection to the license server is mandatory; Octopus will go into limited functionality mode if a connection can’t be made after 30 days."

Thanks,

Chris

Hey Chris,

That’s not currently implemented yet. A version of Octopus with that in it will be released sometime in 2023. All current versions of Octopus won’t reach out for licensing purposes. I believe the port will be 443 when it does, though. That is what we use for all other external communication from the Octopus Server other than Tentacles/Workers. Don’t quote me on that please as it may change :sweat_smile: .

Please let me know if that helps or if you have other questions.

Best,
Jeremy

Thanks, Jeremy. Will there be communication from Octopus when this goes into effect? Our security team is looking for details on that communication to ensure that we won’t be violating any of the strict security policies we have in place.

Thanks,

Chris

Hey Chris,

I spoke with the team working on this and we will definitely be communicating when it’s going into effect as well as the starting version numbers.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.