License: one tentacle shared between spaces

Hi,

About the licensing, if I have one tentacle on one server, and I use that target under three different spaces.

1 server with 1 tentacle named tentacle1
3 spaces using tentacle1

• space1 use tentacle1
  • space2 use tentacle1
  • space3 use tentacle1

Does it count has one or three targets for licensing purposes.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Francis Grignon

Hi @FrancisGrignon,

Thanks for getting in touch regarding your licensing question.

At this point, from a licensing perspective, using a single Target/Tentacle across multiple Spaces is seen as different Targets.
In your example, using one target in 3 spaces will subtract three targets from your license. The Team here is looking into changing this policy in the new year.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Thanks for the reply @tina.bamford, it’s really appreciated.

Francis

1 Like

Hi @tina.bamford

This morning the very same question came up in our team. Can you share any news on the topic?

David

Hi David,
Thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately, there is no major news here. There is some work in motion related to sharing resources across spaces but nothing that allows sharing of Targets between spaces without consuming a license.

Just to be certain I’ll touch base with the team in Australia tonight for an update an let you know if there have been any changes.

Kind Regards,
Tina

Hi Tina,

I’m also interested, any word? Purely for organizational purposes it would be very helpful to split into three spaces, but if it triples our licensing cost it’ll mean looking at alternatives.

Kind regards,
Govert

Hi @govert,

There was a bit of oversight on my part. My apologies for dropping the ball here. GitHub Issue 5704, released in version 2019.7.3, fixed license check code that deduplicates tentacles and ssh endpoints across spaces. Since this fix machines with the same thumbprint, across spaces, are only counted once in regards to licenses.

I hope this helps and my apologies for not mentioning this fix early.

Kind Regards,
Tina

Hi Tina,

No worries there, because at least you’re bringing me some excellent news!

Thanks!
Govert

2 Likes

Hello, can it be that this fix was removed from some of the newer version.I’m working with 2020.5.8 and when I create a new target (windows - listening tentacle) with fingerprint used already in another space (also windows - listening tentacle), then it still deducts from the license and will eventually not allow me to create the target.
Best regads
Vlado

Hi @v.vasilev,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

If you created two different Tentacles on the same endpoint machine it will count towards your license.
You can see an example of this in Tentacle Manager here:

Fortunately, you can configure the same Tentacle between Spaces without creating a new tentacle - this will not increase your Target count in licenses. You can do this by navigating to the new Space and Adding a Deployment Target as normal:

You would then verify the communication Port and Thumb Print matches the Tentacle added in the original Space.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Garrett

Hi Garett, thanks for the suggestion. Sorry for late feedback - this doesn’t seem to work for me.
Might have to do with the fact that my Octopus was upgraded from older version?
I checked the target machine and see only 1 tentacle there.
That tentacle is used in Space1.
When I go in a new space and try to add a target to the same machine, it complains. I also tried to add the data manually

I tried both with same target name and also different.
I find strange, that when you add a target it says , it wants to create a tentacle
I will continue trying and will let you know if I manage somehow
Br
Vlado

Or maybe, it wouldn’t count the new target if the tentacle is existing, but it still checks in the beginning if the license limit was reached and it prevents you from creating it.
I need to remove one active target and try again and check if it counted it,
Br

That was it.
If I still have one free target, I can create a second deployment target to same tentacle and it doesn’t count. But once your license is “full” ,then you can’t create it as it rejects it. I guess it first checks the license and only after that checks that it is existing tentacle.So I’ve already my workaround

Hi @v.vasilev,

Thanks for letting me know and I’m glad you found a workaround.

You are correct in that it checks the License limit before subtracting if it’s an existing Target. I will bring this up with our engineers and see if there’s a way we can improve this behavior. I can see how juggling your licensing around the Target capacity might become tedious.

If you have any further questions please let me know!

Regards,
Garrett