License expired, how do I change it?

Hi, I have a Octopus server running on-prem where the license has expired months ago. When I try to start it, it fails obviously. I’ve created a new community license on your site, but how/where do I use this license to get the server running again? And on the same note, an way to get the data from the on-prem server to one of your Cloud servers?

Thanks,
Steen

Hi Steen,

Thanks for getting in touch! You can apply the new license key to your existing instance via the octopus.server command line with the following command.

octopus.server license --instance="OctopusServer" --licenseFile="C:\temp\octopus-server-licensekey.xml"

This would require you to save the full license key to an .xml file, and reference that in the above command. More details on this command at the following doc page.

https://octopus.com/docs/octopus-rest-api/octopus.server.exe-command-line/license

Regarding migrating data from on-prem → cloud, you can use the Export/Import feature which will save the selected project to a password-protected zip file, which you can then import into a cloud instance. Note that you will need to ensure both the on-prem and cloud instance versions are matching, which I’m assuming your on-prem instance will need to be upgraded. :slight_smile:

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns going forward.

Best regards,

Kenny

Thank you Kenneth, that got the Windows Service running again!

Good morning @sft,

Just jumping in for Kenny who is currently off shift as part of our Australian based team. Great news using the octopus server.exe licence commands got you up and running again, I will let Kenny know he helped!

If you need anything in future please reach out as we are always on hand to help!

Kind Regards and Happy Deployments,
Clare

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.