Kubernetes certificate variable binding

For the “Deploy kubernetes containers” step there is the option to update the ingress TLS and provide a certificate. I would like to use an octo registered cert rather than point to a secret but I’m coming up against an issue whereby the value that I am forced to pick has to be of a certificate type and does not allow variable binding. I want this step to be utilised by multiple tenants across multiple environments which means I need the certificate selection to be dynamically selected by scope.

Can you think of a better way around this or could a feature request be raised to support variable binding here?

Hi @dingus,

Thanks for getting in touch!

That part of the step uses variables binding by default and will look for any variable of type certificate when you open the drop-down. You can then assign multiple values to that certificate variable and scope them as needed.
e.g.

Regards,
Paul

Yes absolutely right and that works great if I’m using it across environments only but I need it across tenants as well. So in this case I’m looking to bind it to a template variable.

Something Like:

Library Set Template Variable = SSL CERT

Library Variables:

• SSL_CERT.UK
    • Alpha Scope = “My Alpha UK Cert”
    • Beta Scope = “My Beta UK Cert”
  • SSL_CERT.USA
    • Alpha Scope = “My Alpha USA Cert”
    • Beta Scope = “My Beta USA Cert”

UK Tenant - SSL_CERT = #{SSL_CERT.UK}

USA Tenant - SSL_CERT = #{SSL_CERT.USA}

THEN… in the kubernetes deploy step for the certificate field I can simply use #{SSL_CERT} and I’m scoped for all use cases.

The problem being that as you say it only looks for vars of type Certificate where in this case I would need the Template Variable to be a Single Line Text Field to achieve this dynamic scoping (see my last post with I believe you helped me on where we went over a very similar issue with account binding).

That’s correct. You can bind it directly to a Project Template Variable or Library Set Template Variable that are set to a Certificate type but using additional levels of nesting and a Single Line Text variable isn’t going to be possible.

We do have a uservoice site for changes and feature suggestions. It may be worth raising an item there with your use case for our product team to review.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.