Jira Integration Returning 401 Unauthorized

On March 10th, our Jira integration began reporting 401 Unauthorized errors. (I just want to say thank you for designing Octopus Deploy to report these errors as warnings, such that they don’t prevent a deployment from succeeding).

We are using an on-premise installation and used Octopus’ Configuration > Settings > Jira Integration > Jira Connect App Password > Test to test out the connect with Jira. It also reported a 401 Unauthorized. (Full Error Message)

At this point we went to https://status.atlassian.com to see if anything was reported on their status page, and there was an active issue: Atlassian Developer Status - install webhooks for Connect apps are sent to the wrong region

The description from Jira stated, “We have identified the root cause and the feature affecting the behaviour is turned off.” around 10/03/2022 11:19 AM UTC. Which is around 3:19 AM PST (our work time), and our issue started being seen when people came in to work that morning (after 8 AM).

So, the timing makes it seem like Jira’s “fix” might have broken our Connect App integration.

The Atlassian/Jira status page made it seem like they were going to seamlessly fix any configuration issue in the background without us needing to be involved. However, our installation is still reporting the error and our on-premise Octodeploy installation doesn’t look to be sending data to Jira successfully.

Everything about the status page write up makes me believe that uninstalling the Atlassian/Jira Connect Application and reinstalling it has a good chance to fix the issue. But, I wanted to report it here first to ensure I don’t make a bad situation any worse.

Since Octopus Deploy Pty Ltd is the owner of the Octopus Deploy Connect App on the Atlassian Marketboard, I figure you would have the best knowledge of how to properly investigate the issue and provide advice.

When you have a chance, please let us know what you think are the correct next steps?

Hey @steven.maglio,

Thanks for reaching out on our community forums. I’m sorry that your Jira integration wasn’t fixed but you’ve written a solid and comprehensive inquiry.

I believe you are on the right track and will likely need to reinstall/reconfigure the Jira plugin which I know is annoying but has solved many problems for other users. Based on the full error trace you linked, it’s not clear if the bad request is due to the bad routing or if your connection credentials were changed/corrupted as a result of Atlassian’s change. You may want to try reconfiguring the plugin with a fresh password/API key and if that still fails, try the full uninstall.

Let us know how you progress or if you have any additional questions.


Thanks. The re-installation worked successfully.

1 Like

Hey @steven.maglio,

I’m glad that resolved things for you. Let us know if anything else comes up.


This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.