Japanese characters in config files

Hello,

We have config files with Japanese comments in them for explanatory purposes. For example, “” which is a comment above a connection string element.
When Octopus attempts to replace configuration variables in these files it fails with the following log snippet:

12:11:08 Error | Exception while replacing configuration-variables in: D:\OctopusTentacle\Applications\Production\DBVersionUp\20151201.236-VariablesFix\App.IT1.config
12:11:08 Error | System.Xml.XmlException: Invalid character in the given encoding. Line 5, position 13.
12:11:08 Error | at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)
12:11:08 Error | at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.InvalidCharRecovery(Int32& bytesCount, Int32& charsCount)
12:11:08 Error | at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.GetChars(Int32 maxCharsCount)
12:11:08 Error | at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ReadData()

Line 5, position 13 is the first Japanese character in the file.

The config file is set to UTF-8 encoding, which I believe should work fine with Japanese characters.
If this is a bug it would be great to have it fixed. Otherwise we will need to clear out all the comments from the files.

App-IT1-config.PNG

I don’t seem to be able to reproduce the problem, so I’m not sure if there is one. I will get back to you if I discover a fool-proof way to reproduce it.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for getting in touch! if you can reproduce it could you please give us a copy of the config file and let us know the Octopus version you are running.
Feel free to obscure any sensitive values we just need to see everything in its context and also be able to reproduce it.

Thanks!
Vanessa