Is there way to see details and adjust standard deployment step templates?

I figured that Community step templates are merely scripts, which may be cloned and amended for specific needs. Wonder if something like that can be done for built-in step templates?

Specific problem is - Windows Service deployment which may be stubborn and slow reacting on the Service Stop command. I’d like to be able to kill the service process if it does not stop within allotted timeout.

Konstantin

Hi Konstantine,

Thanks for getting in touch! Currently there is no way to edit Octopus’ pre-made steps, this can only be done to the library step templates.

There is actually a community step template that does exactly what you are after here.
http://library.octopus.com/step-templates/2d59d5b6-1dc3-424e-9279-676393933efd/actiontemplate-process-wait-for-or-force-close

The other option is to create your own custom script that would check if the service has started after the allotted time, if not kill the service process.

Finally, perhaps it may interest you to look into creating your own customized Calamari, as it is all open source. You are more than welcome to download the source code and make any alterations that you would like to have in your deployment process. As all of the package steps and processes in Octopus use script and functions that are held inside Calamari, you are able to change the behavior of them by editing, compiling and calling your own Calamari.exe.

Let me know what you think.

Best regards,
Daniel

I see what you are saying… Going to use Calamari sources as a reference to find out what exactly deployment steps are doing. But in this case I probably go with the custom script as I already have one from the pre-Octopus times.