Is there a way to tell whether the tentacle has been added to the octo master

So I am trying to automate the installation of tentacles. So far I have the installation and tentacle configuration done via chef, however the one part I would like to have is to register the machine with octopus deploy on the initial setup. I was wondering if there is a way to see whether the machine is communicating with the octopus deploy server.

Hi Brent,

The register-with command in Tentacle can be used to add the Tentacle to Octopus. By default it will return a non-zero exit code if the machine already exists with the same name, but you can force it to override if you wish.

Hope that helps!

Paul

Sorry the main purpose of this would be to check before making the request as chef will be running every 30 minutes. This could get rather chatty on machines once things are already installed.

Hi Brent,

Thanks for clarifying. You can use our REST API to check if the machine is already registered (e.g., http://demo.octopusdeploy.com/api/machines/all) - it would allow you to do the check in a single HTTP request. Alternatively you might just need to store a file locally to record that the machine is registered and check that instead.

Paul