Is there a maximum time limit a task/step can run for?

(Brian Truman) #1

Just curious, but is there a timeout period for tasks or steps? I’ll be using Octopus to deploy to a site that has an extremely slow internet connection, and I’m wondering if I need to make any considerations for that site to prevent timeouts. If a step or the whole task runs for more than, say, an hour will it automatically cancel itself?

Thanks! And sorry if this is the wrong place - the form will only let me select Support.

(Kenneth Bates) #3

Hi Brian,

Thanks for getting in touch! This is the perfect place to ask your question. :slight_smile:

You shouldn’t have to make any consideration to prevent timeouts on running steps. If you’re wanting to define a custom timeout period, I believe the only way to do so is via PowerShell. The following walkthrough may be helpful regarding this.

There’s also a workaround suggested on this UserVoice idea that may be of interest.

I hope this helps! Let me know how you go or if you have any further questions moving forward.

Best regards,

Kenny

(Brian Truman) #4

Thanks so much Kenny! Looking for it to not timeout on me, so sounds like I’m already all set!

Thanks again!

Best,

-BT

(Kenneth Bates) #5

Hi Brian,

You’re very welcome! Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns in the future. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny