Is Octopus Deploy 2020.4 compatible with Teamcity's Octopus plugin 4.39.4?

Hi there,

We are upgrading to the newest version of Octopus. But in our implementation of Teamcity, we are using Octopus Deploy plugin version 4.39.4. Are they compatible?

If not, what are the suggestions?

Thank you,
Rachel

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for getting in touch! Unfortunately I can’t confirm definitively if version 4.39.4 of the TC plugin is compatible with the latest Octopus version. While it’s possible that it’d work without issue, that plugin version looks to be ~2 years old and we’ve made significant changes to Octopus in that time. Most notably and most likely to be the reason for any incompatibilities is the Spaces feature. We try to ensure backwards compatibility where possible, but regardless I’d recommend an upgrade of the plugin when you can. :slight_smile:

I hope that helps, and please don’t hesitate to reach out with any other questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,

Thank you for your reply!

Do you know if Teamcity can provide a compatible Octopus Deploy Integration Plugins version list?

If we upgrade the plugin in teamcity, will it break the connection with teamcity? Do you have suggested reference document?

The problem is that while we are upgrading our Octopus to the newest, Teamcity is not upgrading. So we are not sure if the old Octopus plugin will connect well with the newest Octopus.

It makes senses some feature the old plugin will not support; but after the upgrade we haven’t decided if we are going to use the space feature yet. We want to make sure the new Octopus can talk to teamcity and get the nuget package. How about the runbook feature? Will it also be impacted?

Hi Rachel,

You’re quite welcome! I think the closest compatibility list in regards to the Octopus plugin versions and TeamCity versions would be here: https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/9038-octopus-deploy-integration/versions

This shows “All” under compatibility, and as I’ve heard recent plugin versions used on TC versions as far back as v8 (which is ~5-6 years old now) that should be fine. The Octopus plugin I’d say is more backwards compatible with older Octopus server versions, rather than forwards compatible with newer Octopus versions. So if you’re upgrading Octopus Server, I would recommend at least an upgrade to the TC plugin as well, and you’d probably be okay to hold off on the upgrade to TeamCity itself.

With the addition of the runbook feature, the run-runbook command was added to the Octo CLI (which is what the TC plugin uses under the hood) so the plugin upgrade would give you that. :slight_smile:

I know that’s a bit vague, but I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Kenny

1 Like

Thank you Kenneth! We will upgrade the TC OD plugin.

Your insights are very helpful.

Best Regards and take care!
Rachel

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.