Is it possible to scope OctopusBypassDeploymentMutex?

Hi!

We have many steps in a Octopus Project but would only like to have steps with a certain target role to be “run multiple processes on a target”

Is it possible to scope the OctopusBypassDeploymentMutex variabel so that only certain steps use that setting and not all other steps in the project?

I tried looking here, but it seems as if the setting applies to the whole project?

Hey Jacob,

In our testing in latest, this does work. You will need to have OctopusBypassDeploymentMutex on any projects you want this to work on scoped to the steps you want, and set to True.

If you have time to answer, can you please let me know the high level overview for the use case for this? It’s possible workers might fit better without the need for all the extra complexity and configuration.

Please let me know.

Best,
Jeremy

Thanks for your answer Jeremy!

We’re using large Octopus Projects that include steps for deploying web, services, applications and also database.

For the database steps, we are using a jumpbox (one tentacle that may connect to multiple database instances)
This requires us to use OctopusBypassDeploymentMutex in order to not queue up these projects that have a database step.

That is why we would like to scope the OctopusBypassDeploymentMutex variable , to only be used for specific tentacles (in our case the database deploys) and not for all other steps in a project.

Hey Jacob,

You’re very welcome!

Thanks for the overview of your methodology.

It sounds like you’re happy with your setup as is, but in the future, it may help to convert steps similar to this to use a worker pool.

Here is some documentation on workers and their usage. We’ve updated this documentation recently so it’s a bit more robust: Offload Work to Workers - Octopus Deploy and Workers - Octopus Deploy

There is also a youtube video for scaling with workers here that we’ve created: Workers - Speed up and Scale Out - YouTube

Not all jobs can be handled by Workers, but they definitely have some great use cases and don’t count toward your tagret limit.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the above. I hope you have a great rest of your week.

Best,
Jeremy

Thanx! Will definitely try that solution.

1 Like

Hey Jacob,

You’re very welcome. If you run into any issues please let us know.

Best,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.