Is it possible to modify the "some variables have changed" to ONLY look at the variables within the current deploy's scope?

When I’m deploying a release to “Production” and only variables scoped to “Staging” have changed, I still get a warning. This warning makes me wonder if the requested release needs the variables updating before deploying, but probably 95% of the time, they were changes for a different scope (ie Staging/Beta/etc). It would be great if when Octopus “resolves” the variables and does it’s check for changes, if it did so AFTER scoping to the current environment or any variables with no scope (aka global).

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch. Changing how we do this check would be reasonably involved due to how it is currently implemented and the point in the process the check runs, however if you would like to create an item over at our Uservoice site (https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/) to see if there is community support for the change, we have made a commitment this year to having a stronger focus on implementing highly voted Uservoice requests.

Regards,
Mark

After checking through that site and some blog posts, it appears that there is some discussion about removing snapshots and producing better diffs between channels, so this is probably a work in progress.

We’re definitely planning on revisiting how this will be handled, but at this point any changes will be part of Octopus 4 which is still only in the planning stages.

Regards,
Mark