Is it possible to have a step in Project A create a Release in Project B.(not deploy just a new release)?

So basically if I deploy project A 3 times I would have 3 new undeployed releases in project B.

Hi @davelehoux,

Thanks for getting in touch! I think the best option here would be to use the the Octopus CLI tool (Octo.exe) with the create-release command to create the new release.

You can use a script step in Project A to create the release for Project B via Octo.exe.

Let me know if this helps, or if you have any questions at all please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,
Daniel

That’s what I was considering. So the tool must be installed on the octopus server right? After posting I saw found this sample that I guess would work to but would not required octo.exe if I understand correctly. OctopusDeploy-Api/CreateReleaseAndDeployment.ps1 at master · OctopusDeploy/OctopusDeploy-Api · GitHub

Hi @davelehoux,

Thanks for getting back. The server you are executing your scripts on would require the Octo.exe tool to be present and I don’t believe we supply it as a part of Octopus server or Tentacle. It can be downloaded here. A script step run against the Octopus server which has the tool should work just fine, assuming you point to the tool in the script.

As for the API script you have linked, this would also work. Though in both cases I would suggest that you use a sensitive variable in Octopus to hold the API key.

Let me know if this helps.

Best regards,
Daniel

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.