Intermittent 404 errors

Recently installed Octopus Server. I’m using SQL Express (installed on the same server) - i Intermittently get

Unhandled error when communicating with the Octopus Deploy server. The server returned a status of: 404
SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0

When I refresh I often get

404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. And then another refresh I get the page loaded.

Pretty sure I figured out the problem. I have had several weird intermittent problems. Today I was unable to access the app consistently from the Build Server.

I realized that I had both IIS and Octopus listening at the default directory on port 80. I’ guessing that intermittently IIS or Octopus was getting the request. I forgot that the server I installed on had IIS installed by default with a default site at port 80.

I went to the Octopus manager, added a binding at Virtual Directory of /Octopus and removed the default. So far -no more errors.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! Glad you figured this out. Octopus cannot share a port with any other program.

Please let us know if you have any other issues or questions.
Vanessa