Installation of octopus server

Windows PowerShell 2.0 or above does not appear to be installed and on the System Path on this machine. Please install Windows PowerShell or add it to the System Path then re-run this setup tool.

Good afternoon @jack7,

Welcome to the Octopus Forums and I am sorry to hear you are having trouble installing Octopus, I assume that is the error message you are getting when you try and run the Octopus installer?

We have some documentation here on the minimum requirements for PowerShell that you need to run Octopus with. Windows PowerShell 2.0 is the minimum version we require for you to install Octopus. Depending on your OS you should have that installed (or a higher version) already if you are running Windows Server 2008+.

To install PowerShell please follow Microsoft’s guide here.

If you are running Windows Server 2008+ though it should be installed already so you would need to add it to your environment variable path like so, you will need to restart your host machine once you have set that.

Let me know if that helps,
Kind Regards,
Clare

1 Like

It works thank you very much

1 Like

Hey @jack7,

Great news you can now install Octopus, reach out in future if you need anything else as we are always on hand to help!

Kind Regards and Happy Deployments,
Clare

1 Like

hello,
I turned off the computer and when I turned it on again to work on octopus the same problem came back

Hey @jack7,

I am sorry to hear the issue came back on reboot, looking at your other forum ticket in for this issue Britton is correct in that the only way that would have been removed is if you have a GPO (Group Policy Object) on your domain that sets the environmental variables up for servers/user accounts.

Similar to this article here.

This is easily missed if it is the case, it could be one of your GPOs for an application requires an environmental variable set to have that application work, you can set a GPO to add a variable or have a variable set put in on reboot so its always up to date. If that is the case then your PowerShell one will be removed in favour of the list your GPO is sending to your machine.

Environmental variables are a system GPO (found in Computer Configuration - which are only applied on reboot), so you could test this, if you set that variable again for the system, logout of your machine and log back in again is it still there and is only wiped on reboot? If that is the case I would dig through the GPOs on your domain and see if there is one for Environmental variables.

You can also make use of the Group Policy Modelling Wizard to see what GPOs are being applied to your server and then dig through those to see if one has environmental variable edits associated with it:

The only other thing I would like to mention is you did ensure this was a system variable not a user one?

So you need to click edit under the system option not the user one, I assume you did this previously as my screenshot highlighted the system edit option but I just wanted to make sure:

Hopefully that helps, unfortunately if you are still seeing it removed after checking GPOs and ensuring you have it set as a system variable you will need to find some script or look at the event log on your server to see why that is being stripped, Octopus would not strip or add any values to a server environmental variable path so the only thing we can do to help is ask you to check what I have here. I am out of ideas other than the ones I posted up unfortunately.

Let me know if that helps or not,
Kind Regards,
Clare

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.