Installation error / 0x800706D9

Hello,

I try to setup an tentacle on a Windows Server 2016 from a customer who is hardened. Here is the error message I have. Anyone already had this issue in the past ?

Saving instance: Tentacle
Setting home directory to: D:\Data\Inetpub\Deploy
Error: ===============================================================================
Error: There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706D9)
Error: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
Error: at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
Error: at Octopus.Shared.Internals.CertificateGeneration.Win32ErrorHelper.ThrowExceptionIfGetLastErrorIsNotZero()
Error: at Octopus.Shared.Internals.CertificateGeneration.CryptContext.CreateSha256SelfSignedCertificate(SelfSignedCertProperties properties)
Error: at Octopus.Shared.Internals.CertificateGeneration.CryptContext.CreateSelfSignedCertificate(SelfSignedCertProperties properties)
Error: at Octopus.Shared.Security.CertificateGenerator.Generate(String fullName, Boolean exportable, ILog log)
Error: at Octopus.Tentacle.Configuration.TentacleConfiguration.GenerateNewCertificate()
Error: at Octopus.Tentacle.Commands.NewCertificateCommand.Start()
Error: at Octopus.Shared.Startup.AbstractCommand.Start(String[] commandLineArguments, ICommandRuntime commandRuntime, OptionSet commonOptions)
Error: at Octopus.Shared.Startup.ConsoleHost.Run(Action`1 start, Action shutdown)
Error: at Octopus.Shared.Startup.OctopusProgram.Run()
Error: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error: Terminating process with exit code 100
Error: Full error details are available in the log files at:
Error: C:\Users\SetupUser\AppData\Local\Octopus\Logs
Error: D:\Data\Inetpub\Deploy\Logs
Error: If you need help, please send these log files to https://octopus.com/support
Error: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error:
Error: The previous command returned a non-zero exit code of: 100
Error: The command that failed was: “C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Tentacle.exe” new-certificate --instance “Tentacle” --if-blank
Deleted instance: Tentacle

Best regards

Hi,

I have not seen any other reports of this issue.

What you could try is:

1. Manually generate a new Tentacle certificate on a different computer (that isn’t hardened).
  2. Install the Tentacle using Tentacle.exe from the commandline, but instead of running Tentacle.exe new-certificate follow the instructions on how to import the certificate you generated in point 1.

I hope that helps.

Thank you and kind regards,
Henrik

Hello Henrik,

In the middle time I have found the solution.

The hardening of the server was the issue. The problem was not on the GPO but the CNG Windows Service need to be activated to work : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa376210(v=vs.85).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best regards

Hi Yannick,

Great to hear that you found a solution, I will add this to our docs so that if other customers run into the same issue we know how to solve it for them.

Cheers,
Henrik

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.