Install Octopus tentacle on a windows server box which is hosted on AWS

Hi team,

I am currently using Octopus deploy version 3.2.1 and want to install tentacle on a windows server which is hosted on AWS. Please let me know if it is possible to hook up the server to Octopus via tentacle installation. I am not sure if we can follow the same steps like we installed it on local servers, using the listening tentacle checbox.

Thanks,
Sohil

Hi @sohilberg,

Thanks for getting in touch!

As long as your AWS server has access on the required ports you can indeed use the normal Tentacle install process to connect up to Octopus. With a listening Tentacle you will require the firewalls to allow traffic from your Octopus Server to the Tentacle, with a polling Tentacle it is the other way around (traffic comes from the Tentacle to the Octopus server).

Our Windows targets support page has information on the required ports and settings.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist with,

Regards
Alex

Thanks for quick response Alex,

Could you please elaborate more on “AWS server access on the required ports”? We have been using the port 10933 for our local (on-premises network) servers while configuring the listening tentacle in the past. Is it required to do any extra configurations in AWS or Octopus, for providing this access regarding this particular machine which is on AWS?

Just to confirm again - The windows machine where we are looking to install the tentacle is hosted inside the AWS cloud . The Octopus version is 3.2.1 currently. Please give us a re-confirmation as we would be able to link our Octopus to this machine using the normal conventional method.

Cheers!

Hi Alex,

It will be really helpful if you could let me know on this soon, your feedback would be great to speed up this implementation.

Hi @sohilberg

The ports used by Tentacle in this scenario are indeed the same as for on-premesis Octopus, so by default that is 10933 for Listening, and 80/443 + 10943 for Polling. What I was referring to with my access remark is that with AWS there is also intermediary firewall(s) that will also need to be configured, I’ve extracted some information from our Tentacle documentation below:

Intermediary Firewalls Don't forget to allow access not just in Windows Firewall, but also any intermediary firewalls between the Tentacle and your Octopus Server. For example, if your Octopus Server is hosted in Amazon EC2, you'll also need to modify the AWS security group firewall to tell EC2 to allow the traffic. Similarly if your Octopus Server is hosted in Microsoft Azure you'll also need to add an Endpoint to tell Azure to allow the traffic.

I hope that helps answer your question, if there is anything else you need please let me know!

Regards,
Alex

Hello Alex,

In the documentation the example states the condition - [ if your Octopus Server is hosted in Amazon EC2, you’ll also need to modify the AWS security group firewall to tell EC2 to allow the traffic ] . I assume the term “Octopus server:” refers to the machine on which I have installed my Octopus software and Octopus web portal.
In my scenario the Octopus server/web portal isn’t hosted in Amazon EC2 , however the windows server machine on which we are looking to install the tentacle is hosted under AWS. Please let me know if it would work in this situation. Looking forward to your earliest response.

Thank you very much!

Hi @sohilberg,

In your scenario you can replace the words Octopus Server with Octopus Tentacle as the hosting will be reversed with Tentacle being in AWS and Octopus Server being located on-premesis (I presume).

Without knowing exactly how you have your internal and AWS networks configured it’s difficult for me to give you detailed advice, but if you are using a listening Tentacle in AWS you will need to allow traffic from your Octopus Server, out of your on-premise firewall, into your AWS network and to the AWS VM running Tentacle, all on port 10933.

I hope that helps,

Regards,
Alex

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.