Install MSI via octopus

I’ve a visual studio project that produce MSI package. I’m able to extract the MSI file into the target server using Deploy a Package step. The next step is using Run-Windows Installer. First, I want to test if it can remove existing installed msi package. I selected Remove in the action. However, I got the following error

MSI (s) (28:18) [23:24:27:731]: Product: Nexus.TaskEngine – Configuration failed.

MSI (s) (28:18) [23:24:27:733]: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Nexus.TaskEngine. Product Version: 1.0.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: xxxxx Technologies. Reconfiguration success or error status: 1638.

Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.
{778392BE4-169A-4C19-1297-1831148175EA}

Hi @endashaw.adane,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’ll need to get some more information from you to get a better idea about what could be going wrong.

Would you first be able to test this manually outside of Octopus, using the same account running the Tentacle service where you see this error?

Let me know if you see the same error or if it works as expected. This will be helpful in identifying whether there is perhaps some environmental issue at play.

Would you also be able to attach the full raw deployment log where you are experiencing this issue during deployment?

This information should help us to get started with troubleshooting and get to the bottom of this issue.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Daniel

The Tentacle runs with local system account. Finally I managed it with powershell script.

Hi @endashaw.adane,

Thanks for the update here! I’m glad to hear this is working with a powershell script. The Run-Windows Installer step is a community template, which can sometimes hit some unexpected issues.

If you have any further issues here, or any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi @Daniel_Fischer
Thanks for the update. one more question related to this. I’ve 13 projects each with one MSI and a web project. Each has its own package. So, the issue is I need to have 14 steps to deploy the package to the target machine before starting installing. how can i deploy multiple packages in one step?

Hi @endashaw.adane,

Thanks for getting back. I have a couple of ideas here, though they will depend on your requirements.

You note that you have 12 projects each with a single MSI & web project. Are these packages all the same with some configuration differences between them? If each project is contextually the same, you could take advantage of our Tenants feature here to make things more streamlined.

Tenants would allow you to create a single dynamic project and a Tenant for each customer who needs their own slightly altered deployment of the project. Each Tenant you create can have its own Tenant-specific-variables. It’s a complex feature but excellent at minimising oversight in some cases.

If your projects are not contextually the same and require different MSI packages each, you will need to use something like the transfer a package step for each individual package you wish to copy over, then run a script step to execute them.

I may be missing some context here though, so let me know if the above information is helpful or not. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi @Daniel_Fischer,
Thanks for your reply. The projects are different so I think I am good to use the transfer package for each.

Thanks again

Hi @endashaw.adane,

Thanks for the update here, we’re always happy to help.

Feel free to get in touch at any time.

Best regards,
Daniel

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.