Instaling Tentacle 2.3.3.1369 Fatal exception - The dependency service or group failed to start

Hi

I get the following error when trying to install the tentacle:
A fatal exception occurred
System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service OctopusDeploy Tentacle on computer ‘.’. —> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The dependency service or group failed to start
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.ServiceCommand.Start() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\ServiceCommand.cs:line 188
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.ConsoleHost.Run(Action`1 start, Action shutdown) in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\ConsoleHost.cs:line 36

It seems I am missing a dependency, but the error does not tell me what I am missing. The same tentacle installed successfully on two other servers.

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your post!

Tentacle has a dependency on the WorkStation service and if that service is disabled the tentacle will not be able to start/install.

Hope that helps!

Vanessa

1 Like

Thank you for the response. The Workstation service had been set to disabled.

Thanks.

Marco

Hi

I got somewhat the same error when clicking “Upgrade All Tentacles” yesterday (see below) on a 5th of our tentacles.
However the WorkStation service IS enabled and running.
The error here, in my eyes, is the " on computer ‘.’. ".
I think that the ‘.’ is a know windows error and that you should encapsulate your start/stop of services in a retry, ALWAYS.
We allready do this in our old pipeline which Octopus is supposed to replace.
Unfortunately I cannot find the link which describes and explains the issue anymore.
Anyway, encapsulate in retry before failing, I have to log in to a lot of servers now to manually start the Tentacle now which is sucky :/.

2014-08-22 20:44:11.4783 INFO The Tentacle has received a request to shut down and restart
2014-08-22 20:44:15.4473 INFO Stopping service…
2014-08-22 20:44:46.6366 FATAL System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot stop OctopusDeploy Tentacle service on computer ‘.’. —> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service cannot accept control messages at this time
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Stop()
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.ServiceCommand.Start() in y:\work\refs\heads\master\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\ServiceCommand.cs:line 77
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.ConsoleHost.Run(Action`1 start, Action shutdown) in y:\work\refs\heads\master\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\ConsoleHost.cs:line 36

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the information and error message. If you run into this issue again, you could restart the tentacles from the Script Console and choose the machines that did not start.

Thanks
Vanessa

Hi Vanessa

Thanks, I could do that, but with 100 of machines I really think, in the spirit of automation, that there should be a retry in Octopus as this issue might get very problematic in production.