Inconsistent ordering of deployment transform steps

Hi,

Whilst running Octopus deploy 2.3.3.1369 I’ve noticed a strange inconsistency between environments, as to the order of the deployment steps occur.

Our dev environment task log displays the order in which things ran as, which is our desired behaviour:

• Apply web.Release.config
  • Find and update variables in web.config
  • Find and update variables in web.debug.config
  • Substitute variables in web.config
    …trim…

When promoting to another environment the steps are executed and displayed in the task log as follows:

• Substitute variables in web.config
  • Apply web.Release.config
  • Find and update variables in web.config
  • Find and update variables in web.debug.config
    …trim…

Note the position of “Substitute variables” differs between environment.

Many thanks for any help.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! Could you please confirm the Tentacle version on these environments is the same? We did change some ordering of the substitutions to be before the configurations, as the substitution syntax was causing invalid XML issues.

Please let me know what you find.
Vanessa

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me - The tentacle versions on these environments are not the same

Is there a way of specify the order? If not, what is the excepted behaviour of the current / latest tentacle and is this likely to change?

Hi Dhogan,

Thanks for the reply and sorry that the change affected you.

Basically. people wanted to do this in their config files:

<some-valid-xml></some-valid-xml>
#{if ....
<more></more>

The presence of the expressions mean that the XML is initially invalid. That’s why we needed to change the order to have the Substitute in Files step run first (ensuring we have valid XML) before we can run the XML transforms.

There’s no way to specify the order at the moment, but no, we won’t be changing it again in future.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.

Until we can upgrade all our tentacles, whilst not ideal, I’ve specified both files in the “Substitute variables” section (web.config and web.Release.config). This will ensure all tentacles are transformed in the same way.

Thanks for your help.

Dave