IIS Web Site deployment problem

Hi,

I have a similar problem with deploying website.

I chose a Physical path outside of Tentacles app path.

As a result I can see a successful release log but without copying files to the right place. All other steps are correct:

1. Website have been created right (it points to the right place outside of Tentacles)
  2. App pool and other settings are correct
  3. I can see a new deploy version with all files in Tentacles app folder

Can you help me to understand how those files can be copied to the right folder?

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for reaching out! Where do you see the files were dropped, and where did you expect them to be dropped?

Could you also please follow the below instructions and send us a full deployment log?

1) Add these 2 variables to your project http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Debug+problems+with+Octopus+variables

2) Create a new release (so the new variables take effect) and deploy it. If possible skip as many steps as you can and only leave step we are troubleshooting in order to avoid the noise in the log.

3) Send us the raw log of that deployment http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Get+the+raw+output+from+a+task

Feel free to mark this thread as private if you want to keep your logs between just our staff and yourself. There’s a button on the right pane for this (let me know if you can’t find it and I’ll do it for you :slight_smile: ).

Regards,
Dalmiro

Since I’m having the same problem I wanted to reply in this thread with a question.

Does setting the Relative Home directory tell Octopus to copy the files to that directory from the installation folder or does it just update IIS to point to that directory and the copying would need to be a separate step?

Hi Josh,

Thanks for reaching out! Could you please explain about which field you are referring when you say “setting the relative home directory”?

The below was written based on the new IIS steps that were introduced in Octopus 3.4.7. If you are using a version older than this one, I strongly recommend you to upgrade to take advantage of these great new steps

Where does Octopus drop the files?

• If you use the Custom Installation Directory feature Octopus will drop them exactly where you tell it to.
  • If you don’t specify a path using the above feature, Octopus will drop it in a default directory composed of the project name, environment name & release version under the Tentacle application path.

Where will the site point to?

Octopus will point the site to the exact path where the package contents were copied. IF you also set a value on the “Physical Path” field, Octopus will point the site to that path relative to the directory where the package was extracted.

Hope that helps,
Dalmiro

With the IIS Deployment type set to “IIS Web Site”, under the heading “IIS Web Site” there is a “Web Site Name” and “Relative home directory”. As a side note I was confused since all the other screen shots show “Physical Path”. My current Octopus version is 3.4.8.

I’m still wondering if setting this values tells Octopus to copy files into that directory from the installation folder?

Hi Josh,

Thanks for clarifying that. That fields changed names in recent versions and now its called “Physical Path” (see attached screenshot). If possible I recommend you to upgrade to the latest version before moving on with the troubleshooting

Setting a value on the Relative home directory/Physical Path tells Octopus to point the IIS Website to a specific directory relative to the path where the files where dropped. For example:

• Octopus dropped the files into c:\Webapps\
    • If you set the Relative home directory/Physical Path to \Folder1, Octopus will point the IIS site to a folder named Folder1 under c:\webapps
    • If you don’t set anything on that field, Octopus will point the IIS website to the directory where the files were dropped, which is c:\webapps

Hope that helps,
Dalmiro