IIS Path mapping not working as expected

Hello,

I’m relatively new to Octopus and I’m having trouble getting a package to deploy to a virtual directory under IIS 7.5. The package has a number of sub directories with different parts of the applcation

2013-06-29 04:33:11 INFO [IIS] Updating IIS website named 'Test Site/Staging’
2013-06-29 04:33:12 INFO [IIS] The IIS website named ‘Test Site/Staging’ has had its path updated to: ‘C:\Octopus\Applications\Staging\Test\2013.13.0.1367\Services\Accounting’

I’m expecting the path to be simply ‘C:\Octopus\Applications\Staging\Test\2013.13.0.1367’ as this is the package root. Why is Octopus putting the extra two levels on the path? How do I get it to set the IIS path to the root of the package?

Hi Myles,

Octopus figured out the root directory of the website by looking for a web.config file. It sounds like you have a web.config at Services\Accounting, but not at the package root. Is this the case? If so, you may need to add an empty file (or create it in deploy.ps1) and delete it in postdeploy.ps1. Alternatively you could use PowerShell to modify IIS instead.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the info, very helpful. I ended up fixing it by breaking up my project into multiple steps and nuget packages so that each web service is deployed with it’s web.config at the root. Octopus is now working nicely.

thanks,
Myles