IIS multiple apps in virtual directories with individual app pools

Hi,

I have several ASP.NET applications A,B,C that I’m currently deploying to the default root website under aliases root/A, root/B, root/C respectively. I’m using the “IIS6+ home directory” feature for this.

The problem is, I want to have a separate app pool for each application, all app pools running with the same user.

The “IIS6+ home directory” feature does not have options to configure app pools, and the “IIS web site and application pool” feature is seemingly incompatible with the “IIS6+ home directory” feature and creates a separate root website which is not what I want.

I’ve seen the custom “IIS Application” action ( https://library.octopusdeploy.com/#!/step-template/actiontemplate-iis-application-create ) but this seems to be an action so it would have to be separate from the step that deploys my nuget package.
I’d really like to avoid having multiple steps per deployed application as I’m deploying quite a few applications per Octopus project.

Is there a custom feature or should I write a post-deployment script for this?

Thanks,
Mauricio

Hi Mauricioscheffer,

Thanks for getting in touch!

There is unfortunately no custom feature to achieve this, you would either have to use the step template from the library which means it would be 2 steps per web app or do a post deploy step to create the app pool for each web app.

Sorry I can’t give you a better solution.

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik