IIS home directory deploy not recognizing existing folder

When deploying a project with the IIS Home Directory feature enabled, I’m receiving an error claiming that the website does not exist. The deployment target is a Windows Server 2008 R2 server with IIS 7.5.

The exact error text is, “Could not find an IIS website or virtual directory named ‘MySiteName’ on the local machine. You need to create the site and/or virtual directory manually. To turn off this feature, use the ‘Configure features’ link in the deployment step configuration to disable IIS updates.”, with the name of the site replaced with MySiteName. The site is visible in the IIS Management Console directory under the “Sites” node on the server to which it is being deployed.

What else can I do to troubleshoot why it is not recognizing the site?

After taking a closer look at the raw log, the release was attempting to deploy to two servers rather than one, due to someone incorrectly tagging one of the servers.

The incorrectly-tagged server was the one that was missing the site.

Many of the log lines do not specifically say which server they are operating on which makes this difficult to troubleshoot.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for getting in touch! I am glad you were able to figure this out. What version of Octopus are you using?
In the Task log on the right hand side there is an option to view the RAW logs. These give information such as:

Tentacle Agent information:
- Machine name:       WIN2014R2

Which if you name things better than I name my VM should allow you to troubleshoot which machines deployments are going to.

Hope that helps!
Vanessa