IIS Create Site requiring virtual path with no option to provide one

Hi,
I am trying to add a Deploy to IIS site step to an existing process that used to just Deploy a Package to a directory.

At the moment I have it set to install to a custom directory on the site that other steps have used in the past.
It is set to Deployment type of IIS Website with the physical path of the package installation directory.
Is there another step that I am missing?

Looking around online I have not had luck with finding the answer of why this was happening and I do not see a place to set a virtual path.
Below is the error I am receiving.

Failed: Step 3: IIS-Create Site
Fatal The step failed: Activity IIS-Create Site on Server-01 failed with error ‘The remote script failed with exit code 1’.
Failed: Server-01
Info Virtual path:
Error OperationStopped: Virtual path cannot be empty, please specify a value
Error at Validate-Parameter, D:\Octopus\Work\20230130171107-6021242-2014
Script.ps1: line 32

Looking at the octopus work folder I am unable to find any files inside.

Removing this step, the project runs as intended.

Thank you in advance

Hi @djedrals,

First of all, welcome to the Octopus forums. We’d be happy to help here.

It looks like you might be looking for the Create an IIS Website option instead of the IIS Virtual Directory option:

The IIS Web site option has a package installation directory field to put your custom installation directory from the previous step into:

Hopefully it’s just this setting, but please let me know if that doesn’t work for you.

Regards,
Garrett

Thanks @garrett.dass ! The issue is that I do want to create an IIS Web Site,
however I get errors about a missing virtual directory.

I have attached a screenshot of both the configuration and error.

Hi @djedrals,

Thanks for the screenshot and clarification here. It does look like you have the settings correct and it should not be asking for virtual directory paths. Sorry to ask a basic question but did you create a new release after making changes to the process?

Regards,
Garrett

And that was it. I was retrying deployments and not creating new releases with each change.
All seems to be working now.
Thank you @garrett.dass

2 Likes

Hi @djedrals,

Happy to help! Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further issues or questions in the future.

Regards,
Garrett