Ignore offline machines by default

Is it possible to ignore offline machines by default? As far as I’m aware the tick box would have be ticked for every deployment where offline machines were found. I’m using OD version 3.0.12.2366.

Here’s the scenario. I’m using OD to deploy to Elastic Beanstalk (EB). At some point EB will decide an instance isn’t healthy, kill it and create another. Once the new instance is created it will automatically deploy the latest release. Once the deployment is finished the instance will be healthy. The instance that EB just killed will still be registered in OD but will be offline. Should anyone manually start a deployment while the machine is still registered and offline and not tick “ignore offline machines”, that deployment will wait a long time for the machine to come online. During this time all deployments will be blocked meaning EB won’t be able to create and new healthy instances. Potentially, this is a big problem. That’s why I was thinking it would be useful to be able to default “ignore offline machines” to true.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. We have a github issue ticket created regarding offline machines. Once the issue is reviewed/fixed, we’ll discuss the default value for this setting https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/1881

I’d recommend you to also delete the old instance from your Octopus environment as part of your automated provisioning process for new instances. You could use Octoposh for this

Thanks,

Dalmiro