HowTo change the default LifeCycle in a project

Hi !

We have Octopus Deploy v2018.3.2

I try to change the default LifeCycle in an existant project.

When we create a new project, it is possible to set the good default Lifecycle, but i can’t find where i can change it.

What i have understand is :
This default Lifecycle is use when i create a new channel with the choice “Inherit from parent” in the field Lifecycle.
In the Dashboard, the environments of this Lifecycle are shown + all others from the project’s channels
In the preview of variable, only the environment of this Lifecycle are available (this is bad when it’s not the good lifecycle).

What can i do if the Lifecycle was not the good when i create the project ? Can i change it ?

Thanks!

Carl Fortin
Software Architect
Ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs
Gov of Québec
Canada

Hi Carl,

Thanks for getting in touch,

Based on the information provided in your query, I wasn’t quite sure if you were encountering issues when making a new Project or changing the lifecycle for an existing Project, so I’ve attempted to address both below;

In Octopus version v2018.5.3 we introduced some changes to the process when creating a new Project as per the following Github issue;

This essentially looks like the screenshot shown below;

It’s not currently possible to specify a Default Lifecycle, however, a Lifecycle that is specifically named Default Lifecycle will be considered the default, if there are no Lifecycles that match this name then the list is sorted alphabetically with the first one being listed as the default.

In order to change a Lifecycle of an existing Project, you can do this via the Process tab of the Project as shown below;

In the instance of Channels, you can change the default channel by navigating to Projects > Channels and selecting the desired channel to make the default;

I hope this helps!

If you require any further assistance or clarification, please let me know :slight_smile:

Have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Reece

Thanks Reece,

For my problem, the solution was the second option :
“In order to change a Lifecycle of an existing Project, you can do this via the Process tab of the Project”

I didn’t saw it because, for us, it was more intuitive to see this setting in the Settings tab or in the Channels tab.

Thanks a lot !
And we really like Octopus! It is simple and work very well. It save our lifes :smiley:

Carl

Hi Carl,

Thanks for getting back to me,

Ah I see, not a problem! I’m glad to hear you were able to locate this option, I appreciate you letting me know the outcome, I’m also happy to hear that your Octopus experience has been so positive!

If you require any further assistance moving forward, please don’t hesitate to reach out :slight_smile:

Have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Reece

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.