How to use Comparison filters in conditional statement

Dear support,

I am struggling in using Comparison filters in conditional statement.
If I do:

#{if #{Octopus.Deployment.Tenant.Tags | Contains "Mymodules/moduleA"}}
    <logger name="*" minlevel="Info" writeTo="moduleA" />
#{/if}

then it is processed as

#{if true}
#{/if}

while I expect the following:

I tried alternative versions of that with no success.

Could you please give me examples of Conditional filters combined with the #{if} statment ?

I found any of them in documentation.

Regards. Pierpaolo

Greetings Pierpaolo, thanks for reaching out! I’m sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with the conditional statements. I’m having a little difficulty following, but what I think you’re saying is that you have

#{if #{Octopus.Deployment.Tenant.Tags | Contains "Mymodules/moduleA"}}
#{/if}

Which is always evaluating to True, is that correct? Another question is are you using this conditional statement in a variable value or as a Run Condition on a step?

Regards,

Shawn

Hello Shawn, thanks for your reply.

I am using the conditional statement in a configuration file which is processed by variable substitution of octopus.

What I would like to achieve is the following:

if Octopus.Deployment.Tenant.Tags string contains “Mymodules/moduleA” then my configuration files processed by Octopus variable substitution must contain the folowing string:

And an empty string if Octopus.Deployment.Tenant.Tags string soes not contain “Mymodules/moduleA”

What I do obtain currently from Octopus variable substitution is the following:

If Octopus.Deployment.Tenant.Tags string contains “Mymodules/moduleA” then my configuration file contains the following string after Octopus variable substitution

#{if true}
#{/if}

If Octopus.Deployment.Tenant.Tags string does not contain “Mymodules/moduleA” then my configuration file contains the following string after Octopus variable substitution

#{if false}
#{/if}

Hope I clarified somehow

Regards

Pierpaolo

Hey there Pierpaolo! Would you be open to a call? Your reply makes it look like true and false would result in the same value. I think I’m missing a connection that maybe can be better explained on a call. Would that work?

Hi Pierpaolo,

I’ll jump in here for Shawn for the time being. :slight_smile:

I’ve been able to reproduce this behavior you’re reporting, and my apologies for the confusion this unexpected outcome is causing. It looks like Octopus is correctly evaluating the truthiness of #{Octopus.Deployment.Tenant.Tags | Contains "Mymodules/moduleA"} and inserting the true or false value into your #{if} statement, but is not going one step further and evaluating that new #{if true}.... I found that unexpected, so I’m going to raise this question internally to see if it’s a bug, or there’s some reason I’m unaware of for this to work in this way.

In my playing around, I was able to work around this and get the desired outcome by creating a new project variable, placing the content #{Octopus.Deployment.Tenant.Tags | Contains "Mymodules/moduleA"} as its value, and modifying the #{if...} statement to check the truthiness of that new project variable. E.g. the project variable in my local test looks like this:

And in my text file I updated the if to:

#{if conditional}
    <logger name="*" minlevel="Info" writeTo="module" />
#{/if}

It doesn’t feel nice to have to workaround this in that way, but that might help? Alternatively, I imagine you could trigger substitution a second time on the same file so that it can evaluate that leftover #{if...}, but I haven’t given that a test myself. This option would likely include enabling this same feature on a subsequent script step and pointing it to this same directory\file.

I hope that helps, and let me know how you go.

Best regards,

Kenny

Thanks Shawn, Kenny,

Indeed, as you proposed I created an intermediate project variable.
I will look forward to see the final solution in order to use directly the comparison filters within the #{if} statement.

Have a nice day

Pierpaolo

Thanks goes to Kenny on this one, he was able to demonstrate to me what it was you were encountering. Thanks Kenny!!