How to revert the version upgrade change for Octopus Deploy

(Ramana Rainn) #1

Hi,

I’m planning to upgrade the Octopus Deploy version from v2018.5.4 to latest v2019.5.4 and below are the steps which I’m gonna use for this change.

• Stop the Octopus Deploy service
  • Take the database full backup of Octopus database
  • Take the VMWARE snapshot of Octopus deploy server ( Octopus deploy is running on VMWARE VM)
  • Install the latest version.

Now I would like to know back-out steps for reverting to previous version v2018.5.4. This is required in-case if we face any issue with latest version. I’m planning to use below steps for this and let me know if these steps are ok or any changes required?.

• Stop the Octopus deploy service
  • Restore the database from previous backup which has taken before version upgrade
  • Revert the VMWARE Snapshot on Octopus Deploy server which was taken before version upgrade or install v2018.5.4 version. Let me know which option is better.
  • Test the application.

Hi Ramana,

Thanks for getting in touch!

The steps you have for both upgrade and downgrade are what we would recommend. The only other item I would add is to make sure you have a copy of your Octopus Master Key in case of emergency.

Hope everything goes well, let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Regards,
Alex

(Ramana Rainn) #3

Thanks Alex. Upgrade went well.

(system) closed #4

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.