How to isolate releases per datacenter?

We are going to go live with octopus deploy very soon.
Before we go live, can someone tell us if we are doing this the best way?

We have 2 projects

foo

bar

We have 3 datacenters. We need to be able to deploy to each datacenter individually, so we have created 6 tenants

us-foo
us-bar

uk-foo
uk-bar

au-foo
au-bar

This makes for a lot of buttons. We tried playing with only having 3 tenants, and using tenant tags to filter by datacenter / project type, but found there were no results in the tenat tag search. Making a tenant per project per datacenter is the only way we have been able to get octopus to work.

Is this the best way to handle multiple datacenters?

Hi Sowen,

Thanks for getting in touch! Generally we have three distinct ways you can configure Octopus to deal with datacenters or regions.
In your case based on how it is setup you may consider 3 Tenants (one per datacenter) that are then linked to your projects.
We have some documentation that provides a bit of a starting point to figure out what is best for you, and might shed some light on where your configuration may not have worked.

Let me know what you think of this documentation and if it leads to any questions or concerns.
From there we should be able to figure out the best solution for you.

Vanessa

Thanks, this is good information.

It doesn’t quite cover our use case. In the examples it assumes that you only have 1 group of servers to release to.

We have environments, (dev, test, stage, prod), and we have further isolated servers into different load balanced pools (internal, production, debug).

Unless there is some way to use tags to separate the server types, I think we will have to make a tenant where tenant name = -

us-internal
us-production
us-debug

uk-internal
uk-production
uk-debug

au-internal
au-production
au-debug

Hi Sowen,

Sorry I did not respond to your reply. I agree with your assessment.

Please let me know how this has been going for you or if you have any issues.

Vanessa