How to export data in 2.6?

The Data Migration doc includes a screenshot from 3.0, not from 2.6. In Tools.exe there is no menu item “Export data…”. Please see the files attached.

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for getting in touch! I have updated the docs to link to the how to backup from a 2.6 server. As the documentation says to import from a 2.6 you need to use it’s backups not use the Export feature from 3.0.

Hope that helps!
Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,
How do you think why am I getting this exception when specify the backup from 2.6 in the wizard at 3.0:

2015-07-21 22:56:17.2372      1 FATAL  System.ArgumentException: Exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' was thrown.
   at Octopus.Shared.Util.Guard.FileExists(String argument, String errorMessage) in y:\work\refs\heads\master\source\Octopus.Shared\Util\Guard.cs:line 57
   at Octopus.Migrator.Commands.MigrateCommand.Start() in y:\work\refs\heads\master\source\Octopus.Migrator\Commands\MigrateCommand.cs:line 58
   at Octopus.Shared.Startup.AbstractCommand.Octopus.Shared.Startup.ICommand.Start(String[] commandLineArguments, ICommandRuntime commandRuntime, OptionSet commonOptions) in y:\work\refs\heads\master\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\AbstractCommand.cs:line 57
   at Octopus.Shared.Startup.ConsoleHost.Run(Action`1 start, Action shutdown) in y:\work\refs\heads\master\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\ConsoleHost.cs:line 36
2015-07-21 22:56:17.3778      1 FATAL  Exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' was thrown.

Path is c:\Downloads\backup.octobak.

Hi Alexander,

To be clear you are using this method for getting the 2.6 backup: http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD2/Backup+and+restore
Where you backup now and have a .octobak file to migrate your data. This should be a single file and not a directory or export from the 3.0 manager.
Please also check the date on the octobak creation file, as it cannot use older versions than 2.6.

Vanessa

I figured out. It was a typo in path.
When file doesn’t exist it throws ArgumentException rather than FileNotFoundException.
Can you please file a ticket to change it? All error messages I saw so far aren’t very clear I’d say.

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the report! We have upgraded the error message to be more specific when the file is not found.

Vanessa