How to check the version of Octopus Deploy already installed on the server?

Hello,

How to check the version of Octopus Deploy already installed on the server?

Thanks!

Regards,
Vikram

Hi Vikram,

Thank you for reaching out! If you’d like to check the version in your Web portal, click the icon in your dashboard in the top right:

If you’d like to check it from the Windows server itself, go to Control Panel -> Programs and features -> Look for Octopus and the Version column (this applies for both Tentacle and server)

If you’re wanting to grab the version programatically, let me know and I can get you a script for that.

Hope that helps!

Kenny

Kenny,

Thanks a lot! Currently, I have Octopus 3.3.10 on my system.

Kenny,

I want to take this discussion further, which I started with basic question. On some of the servers (which are production servers), I am not able to push my changes from QA or Development environments. The error which I get is:

There was a problem with your request.
•One or more machines in the selected environment are running outdated versions of the Tentacle agent, and they must be upgraded before deployment can proceed. The following machines need to be upgraded: CRM Data Service Once you have corrected these problems you can try again. If the problem is related to a variable you will need to update the variables for this release or recreate the release for the changes to take effect. If the problem is related to the deployment process you will need to create a new release for the changes to take effect.

When I go to the ‘Environments’ tab, that particular server is shown to be offline. When I hover over the red alert mark, it says ‘This machine is running older version of Tentacle (2.6.5.1010)’.

Now, when I go to “Deployment Targets >> [Server name] >> Connectivity” and click on ‘Upgrade to Latest’, it gives me following error:

 Upgrade CRM Data Service Tentacle

12:55:08

Info
Starting Tentacle upgrade for a limited set of deployment targets

12:55:08

Info
1 machines will be upgraded to the latest Tentacle version.

12:55:15

Fatal
At least one machine was not successfully upgraded.

 CRM Data Service

Fatal
An error occurred when sending a request to ‘https://[Server IP Address]:10934/’, before the request could begin: Unable to process remote identity; unknown identity type: ‘HTTP/1.0’

Verbose
An error occurred when sending a request to ‘https://[Server IP Address]:10934/’, before the request could begin: Unable to process remote identity; unknown identity type: 'HTTP/1.0’
Halibut.HalibutClientException: An error occurred when sending a request to ‘https://[Server IP Address]:10934/’, before the request could begin: Unable to process remote identity; unknown identity type: ‘HTTP/1.0’ —> Halibut.Transport.Protocol.ConnectionInitializationFailedException: Unable to process remote identity; unknown identity type: ‘HTTP/1.0’ —> Halibut.Transport.Protocol.ProtocolException: Unable to process remote identity; unknown identity type: 'HTTP/1.0’
at Halibut.Transport.Protocol.MessageExchangeStream.ParseIdentityType(String identityType) in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\Protocol\MessageExchangeStream.cs:line 183
at Halibut.Transport.Protocol.MessageExchangeStream.ReadRemoteIdentity() in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\Protocol\MessageExchangeStream.cs:line 129
at Halibut.Transport.Protocol.MessageExchangeStream.ExpectServerIdentity() in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\Protocol\MessageExchangeStream.cs:line 189
at Halibut.Transport.Protocol.MessageExchangeProtocol.PrepareExchangeAsClient() in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\Protocol\MessageExchangeProtocol.cs:line 41
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at Halibut.Transport.Protocol.MessageExchangeProtocol.PrepareExchangeAsClient() in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\Protocol\MessageExchangeProtocol.cs:line 51
at Halibut.HalibutRuntime.<>c__DisplayClass6.b__5(MessageExchangeProtocol protocol) in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\HalibutRuntime.cs:line 115
at Halibut.Transport.SecureClient.ExecuteTransaction(Action`1 protocolHandler) in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\SecureClient.cs:line 61
— End of inner exception stack trace —

Server stack trace:
at Halibut.Transport.SecureClient.HandleError(Exception lastError, Boolean retryAllowed) in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\SecureClient.cs:line 163
at Halibut.Transport.SecureClient.ExecuteTransaction(Action`1 protocolHandler) in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\SecureClient.cs:line 103
at Halibut.HalibutRuntime.SendOutgoingHttpsRequest(RequestMessage request) in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\HalibutRuntime.cs:line 117
at Halibut.ServiceModel.HalibutProxy.Invoke(IMessage msg) in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\ServiceModel\HalibutProxy.cs:line 37

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at Octopus.Shared.Contracts.IScriptService.StartScript(StartScriptCommand command)
at Octopus.Worker.Tentacles.TentacleRemoteEndpointFacade.ExecuteCommand(StartScriptCommand command) in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.3.10\source\Octopus.Worker\Tentacles\TentacleRemoteEndpointFacade.cs:line 38
at Octopus.Worker.Tentacles.TentacleUpgradeMediator.PerformUpgrade() in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.3.10\source\Octopus.Worker\Tentacles\TentacleUpgradeMediator.cs:line 33
at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Health.MachineTaskController.PerformTask(Machine machine) in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.3.10\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Health\MachineTaskController.cs:line 86
Octopus.Server version 3.3.10 (3.3.10+Branch.master.Sha.365b9921133c9490a3ac820844cbb8edb603873f)

 Summary

Info
OFFLINE:

Info

• CRM Data Service at https://[Server IP Address]:10934/, error: An error occurred when sending a request to ‘https://[Server IP Address]:10934/’, b…

Fatal
One or more deployment targets were not upgraded. Please see the output Log for details.

How should this be handled?

Thanks!

Regards,
Vikram

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the answer!

Please see my detailed question in comment after your reply.

Thanks!

Regards,
Vikram Vijay Narkar

Hi Vikram,

Thank you for that information! The problem you’re seeing is due to the fact that Octopus 3.3 is unable to communicate with Tentacle 2.6, so it can’t tell the Tentacle to upgrade. This will require a manual upgrade of your Tentacles.

I hope that helps!

Kenny

Kenny,

Thanks for the update. I have done steps 1-3 already, as we have our Development and QA environments working with new version of Octopus. Now, I need to update tentacles for Prod environment. If I do, Reinstall and if something goes wrong, will it delete the existing files (packages), potentially breaking the running application?

Hi Vikram,

A reinstall of an updated Tentacle MSI will not effect your data or packages in anyway. The Tentacle only handles communication between the Octopus Server and the target machines, and not the actual data. You’ll be safe in reinstalling the updated Tentacle MSI.

Kind regards,

Kenny

Hi Vikram,

Just to clarify a bit more about the Tentacle upgrade process:

All the MSI does is upgrade the binaries of the Tentacle (on a default install that’ll be in C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle) and then reconfigure the Tentacle service to point to them.

The upgrade won’t touch your application files. If something goes wrong (which shouldn’t happen because the MSI process is simple), nothing should happen to your applications running on that server.

I hope that helps!

Kenny

Notice:

This issue has been closed due to inactivity. If you encounter the same or a similar issue and require help, please open a new discussion (if we asked for logs or extra details in this thread, consider including them in the new thread). If you are the creator of this thread and believe it should not be closed let us know via our support email.