How to change the folder where Tentacle unpacks NuGet packages

We have a server which has been poorly configured and I need to change the folder where Tentacle unpacks NuGet packages. I don’t see an option for this in the Tentacle UI.

Can I just update the Tentacle.Deployment.ApplicationDirectory setting in Tentacle.config and restart the service?

Will I also need to move the .tentacle folder and any existing unpacked apps to the new location?

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for reaching out. By changing that value on Tentacle.config, you’ll change the default path were the Tentacle extracts the files. There is no need to move the files under .tentacle unless you really wanna keep them. Octopus will try to create the missing directories on the new path anyways. Like you said, you’re gonna have to restart the Tentacle service for this change to take effect.

If you don’t want to make this change on the server, you could set a custom installation directory on each deployment.

Thanks,

Dalmiro.

I tried this, but the windows service was using an .exe in the .SQ-{HOST}-0A64928C folder which I need to delete.

I also tried the steps listed here, but that didn’t update the windows service either.

To give some more background, when the Tentacle was installed, the application folder was changed to C:\inetpub\wwwroot. Yes, not good. So I need to get all the tentacle files out of there, and the Tentacle config reset back to the default.

On this machine, I just uninstalled Tentacle and then reinstalled it. Is there another way to reset an instance?

Hi Kevin,

If what you want is to move the directory from where the Tentacle is running (and where the service is running from), you’re gonna have to un-install and re-install the tentacle. Are you saying you tried this and it still didn’t work?

Dalmiro

Thanks Dalmiro, the re-install fixed it. I was wondering if there was a less drastic option,