How to Change Log Location

hello!

We had an issue a few months ago which meant doing a SQL restore and we noticed that the log location has moved off the location it should be,

Is there a way to change where the logs actually go, right now they are in the default C:\octopus but we want them in another location because… reasons :smile:

Cheers
Kurt

So having looked closer i can see the Octopus Server Manager is pointing to a directory that it can see yet the logs are not been written to it.

Is there anyway to find why the logs are not writing anything out ?

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to hear you’ve hit this issue. You can change where the logs are with the Octopus.Server.exe command line using the path command and --taskLogs=VALUE option as shown in the following doc page.

Is this what you’re after? Let me know how you go and if this resolves your issue. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

I think i can do that :slight_smile:

If i can recreate the issue in our Dev instance ill test that first but i am not having any success. It may just have to be a try it and see as the impact is minimal

Thanks again
Kurt

Hi Kenny,

So just had a look at the above and it refers to Task Logs, having made the change on our Dev instance i see it move the task logs but not the actual server logs. They currently still show - C:\Octopus\Logs

On our Live server these arent been created but even if they were i need to move them

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Kurt

Specifically this file OctopusServer.txt, it has stopped logging entirely

Kenny! your going to be sick of these emails, i resolved it :slight_smile:

Would be good to know the above anyway, but this was an hardening issue on the box which prevented the Service account running accessing that location.

Hi Kurtis,

Thanks for following up and letting me know the outcome! I apologize about the delay in my response. There are two ways to change where the server logs are located:

1. Modify the Octopus.Server.exe.nlog file, and by default they’re set to:
fileName="${octopusLogsDirectory}/OctopusServer.txt"
archiveFileName="${octopusLogsDirectory}/OctopusServer.{#}.txt"

However this will reset on upgrade, so this is probably not ideal.

1. Move the whole Home Directory (C:\Octopus by default) as outlined with a PowerShell script at the following doc page.

I hope this helps! Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.