How to avoid having to set IIS App Pool Identity credentials and IIS6+ home directory option not visible

Hi, I’m really struggling with this so any help is very much appreciated!

In Octopus, setting a deployment as an IIS Web Application, it forces me to enter IIS Application Pool details, and I don’t want to.

The reason for that is that we use a custom user account for each environment for the app pool to run under, and it is different for each environment. The passwords are changed for security reasons every now and again. I really don’t want to enter the user details and the pwds in Octopus variables - I just want the files pushed.

How do I achieve that?

Looking at some of the old deployment projects where this is not an issue, I see that they have the ‘IIS6+ home directory’ option selected which seems to remove the whole IIS App Pool section entirely. Perfect! BUT this option is not available in the features popup for my web app. Why not?!? And how can I make it available?

This whole thing is a bit of a farce. If I try the deployment as a web app, setting Custom User account as the app pool Identity option but without entering the credentials there, it zaps the details from the app pool in IIS and then the whole set of 20+ sites is completely unavailable.

Please help!

With regards, Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m just letting you know here that I’ve responded to your email question, but I’ll paste it here as well. :slight_smile:

Our built-in IIS step and features do require the App Pool details to be defined, so I think that the best option to not touch the app pool would probably be to use a standard package step. You could then make use of the custom installation directory feature to copy the files to where they need to go, or move them via a PostDeploy script.

Additionally, you could also potentially bind the app pool field to a prompted variable. This would allow you to not store the details in Octopus, but provide the value at deployment time. I’m not sure if that will help with what you need, but thought I’d throw that out there.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

many thanks for that - I didn’t realise that there was a Package option, and that was exactly what I needed. No need for the IIS6+ thing either. All sorted now - cheers!

With regards, Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for following up and you’re very welcome! I’m happy to hear that helped you out. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns in the future! :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.