How to access other projects variables from another project?

I have multi tenancy application which hosts number of tenants under IIS.

There’s core project that install app and then there’s project per tenant that handles tenant variables.

In tenant project I need to know where core project was installed so I can start certain executable from there and setup tenant specific stuff for that release.

One solution would be that I would use fixed installation folder, but I really like the way default step does it ie new release goes to new folder.

I tried to check octo.exe and Octopus.Client for this kind of functionality but havent yet found it…

Br,
Kappas

Hi Kappas,

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately its not possible to access that dynamic variable of a previous deployment’s process. But there are a couple of alternatives:

1. Using a fixed path was the first thing that came to my mind, yeah. I’d also use a Variables Library so multiple projects process’ have access to its values.

2. Print on a file the path where the core project was installed and then read that when deploying the tenant. There’s a variable called $OctopusParameters[‘Octopus.Action[DeployStepName].Output.Package.InstallationDirectoryPath’] that holds this value

3. Have a fixed parent path for the core project like C:\Apps\CoreProject and have each version be deployed on that path on a new folder with the version name like C:\Apps\CoreProject\1.0.0. That way it’ll be easy to just find the latest on the parent path when deploying the tenant by using a bit of Powershell. Actually this is very similar to what Octopus does by default: On a default install the packages will be installed on C:\Octopus\Applications[environment name][Package id][Package version]

Hope some of these ideas help you out.

Thanks!

Dalmiro.

Hi Dalmiro,

Thanks for the tips, I’m gonna use them for sure.

I explored more deeply Octopus.Client-lib and found “almost” the right way, but I ended up to ask this information from IIS after all. Project A installed app and Project B,C,D asked from IIS physical path of app. All those projects use same Variable Library where webSiteName/rootFolder resides.

Cheers,
Kappas

Hi Kappas,

Using IIS’ info sounds like a good and robust enough approach :slight_smile:

Dalmiro