How do we set up a team which can view / edit variables of one specific environment and all global variables that are non-environment specific?

Hi Canny,

Thanks for the update, you’re quite right, this is a bug. We’ll fix it and release a new version in the next few days. Very sorry about this!

Paul

Hi Paul,

No worries, thanks for the update. We look forward to the fix in the next version.

Thanks for the help and have a great weekend.
Best regards,
Canny

Hi Paul,

We’ve tried the latest Octopus release v2.4.7, it doesn’t contain the fix of the bug - https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/947.

Can you please advise when the fix will be available?

Thanks for the help,
Canny

Hi Canny,

I am very sorry that we did not get back to you about this issue and you have had to follow it up.

The biggest issue that we had was due to the fact we could not replicate the issue, we then could not release the fix, as we did not know if it would fix the issue you were having.
When we pulled it from the release we should have let you know then and am very sorry that we did not and left you hanging.

We believe the next step to resolve the error and find a solution or be able to replicate the issue will be through a Skype chat.
If you could please go to the following link and select a time that is suitable for you:
https://octopusdeploy.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php

Again we are really sorry about the delay and lack of communication and want to help resolve this issue.

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve booked a Skype chat on Monday 23-June-2014 at 4:00pm EST. My Skype name is canny_fong.

Chat to you soon.

Thanks.
Canny

Hi Canny,

Thanks for your time showing this to me. Unfortunately I followed what I thought were the same steps as you, but I still can’t manage to reproduce this. When you are next on Skype and available can you let me know and we can try again to find this?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update, I’ve booked another Skype chat with you on this Thursday, 03-07-2014 at 4:00pm EST. Hope we can spot the problem this time.

Chat to you soon.

Thanks,
Canny

Hi Paul,

As per our discussion on the Skype chat last time, I’ve set up a new test environment with a fresh copy of Octopus 2.5.3 installed.

After running some tests to reproduce the problem, I discovered that :-

• If I set up everything from scratch in Octopus 2.5.3 (for example: set up new projects, variables and permissions for different teams). The variable page looks correct for different user accounts.

• If I import / migrate the DB from Octopus 1.6, the variable page will display the problem that I’ve shown you for different user accounts.

So I guess, to recreate the problem, you need to import an old Octopus DB.

I have prepared a copy of the old Octopus DB with minimum data to reproduce the problem. I will forward it to your work email. Can you please take a look?

I have also booked another Skype chat with you on this Thurs, 17-07-2014 at 4pm EST, so we can discuss this further. Hope we will discover more this time.

The Octopus 1.6 DB is very important for our business, it contains data for all our environments, projects and releases, so we can’t afford to lose it and build everything from scratch in Octopus 2.5. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot, and chat to you soon.
Canny

Hi Canny,

Thanks, I’ll see you on Skype soon. I don’t seem to have received the backup file - would you be able to re-send it to me?

Paul

Hi Paul,

No worries, I’ve sent the backup of the old Octopus DB to your work email again, please take a look.

Hope you can reproduce the problem on your end.

Thanks for the help,
Canny

Hi Paul,

Hope everything goes well on your side. Are you able to reproduce the problem using the test Octopus DB that I provided?

And can Octopus 2.5 import/export variables? Consider the amount of variables that we have in our projects, it would be great to have this feature.

Thanks,
Canny