Help with Classic ASP Site Build/Deployment

I’ve Googled, but found very little info on Building and Deploying a Classic ASP site via TeamCity and Octopus.

We setup a project in TeamCity that’s been based off of a project we use for ASP.NET build and deployment.

The Build step works fine, but the Deploy step keeps failing with the following error, so I doubt we have every configured correctly in TeamCity.

Failed to resolve artifact dependency. No files matched for patterns “*.2018.1.1.nupkg”

Could this be because we don’t have our Octopus project configured yet? I tried, but I can’t find a NuGet package for this Classic ASP project. Maybe we should be using MSBuild in TeamCity? Or maybe the Octopus options?

Really at a loss here, mainly because an ex-employee setup all of this up years back and I sort of inherited it.

We’re running an old version of TeamCity (9.1.1.37059) and Octopus (3.0.6.2140). If something in a newer version would help with this build and deployment process, we can certainly update.

If anyone has any information that could help out, I’d appreciate it.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch.

It sounds like your TeamCity configuration has certain artifact dependencies, maybe some rules that are expecting only certain version number patterns. You would need to check your particular TeamCity configuration looking for where this “*.2018.1.1.nupkg” is set (then try and understand why it is setup this way for your existing builds/projects).

This earlier version of Octopus that you’re using was limited to the NuGet package format (which makes sense for .NET apps, but not really for classic ASP apps). In Octopus version 3.3 and above, we added support for .zip and .tar.gz package formats. We’d recommend you consider upgrading so you can take advantage of zip packaging. If you do consider upgrading, please make sure you’ve done a full backup and restore of your Octopus files and database.

To help create your package (and as a general utility for working with Octopus), we’d recommend you take some time getting to know Octo.exe. This will help you package your application from a folder into a zip package (E.g. YourClassicAspApp.1.0.0.zip).

After packaging, you can then use this same tool to push the package to Octopus. Our TeamCity plugin uses this same Octo.exe tool under the hood, and that doco includes a section on “Creating and pushing packages from TeamCity to Octopus” and “Triggering deployments from TeamCity” that may help you see how your existing process is setup.

There’s a lot to take in there, but if you’ve inherited this from an ex-employee, it’s a good idea to create your own little test project within Octopus and play around there first (manually in the Octopus Web UI). Before trying to get integrations working from TeamCity, you should be comfortable with how Octopus works, understand projects, environments, lifecycles and packages etc. When you’ve manually created a project, uploaded your package, got a deployment processes setup (to deploy that package somewhere), created a release and done a deployment, then you’ll be in a better position to understand TeamCity integration with Octopus.

Our docs site has some getting started guides (and details on TeamCity integration) that can definitely help.

Good luck. Let me know how you go.

Cheers
Mark

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.