Have a step be optional

Hi, at the moment we are testing persistent chat so have a couple of deployments pushing notifications, however, as it’s a test and we try different things, sometimes the webhook doesn’t answer. In this case, Octopus fails the Deployment which then ultimately fails the build on Team City.

Is it possible to have a step marked as optional in a way that it doesn’t matter if the step passes or succeeds?

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for reaching out. You can use our Guided Failures feature for this.

Hope that helps,
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro

We have that feature enabled on our dev environments but it doesn’t notify that it’s waiting for guidance so we have to keep manually checking, then TeamCity only waits ten minutes for Octopus so if we don’t catch the Guided Failure in time then the build fails instead of carrying on.

If I could mark the notify steps as optional then aslong as the DB upgrades and the web app deploys, Octopus should respond success regardless of if it can’t hit our chat URL’s or send an email - is this currently not possible?

Regards
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

This currently isn’t possible. There’s a uservoice suggestion for this feature that could use some of your votes: http://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestions/8723770-automated-continue-on-failure-deployment-mode

Regards,
Dalmiro

I am now out of the office until Monday 4th January 2016, with no access to my emails. I shall reply upon my return.

dunnhumby limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales with registered number 02388853 and VAT registered number 927 5871 83. Our registered office is at Aurora House, 71-75 Uxbridge Road, London W5 5SL. The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message in error you should delete it from your system immediately and advise the sender. dunnhumby may monitor and record all emails. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not those of dunnhumby.