Has the configuration for pushing packages from VS(IDE) to Octopus deployments changed?

Hi, I have a very old project and the previous CI/CD process was to check in the code in VS and publish it directly to octopus server, but now this process suddenly has an error.

Please, has the configuration of this process changed?

Did the format of the release order change?

Hi Lily,

I’ve just spun up a new instance and run the same command, keeping your argument as true to form as possible. This has still worked fine for me.

however it looks like your command is attempting to use the argument “-s” as opposed to “-source”

I found, on my version of nuget push, that “-s” was not accepted (no longer accepted perhaps?) and I had to use “-source”

Can you try that small change and see if completes successfully?

Regards,

Dane

Hi Dane,
Thank you very much for your patience in answering.
I tried to add “-apikey” and “-source”, but I couldn’t find them in the “build” option of VS or in the “process” of octopus, do you know where to add these two parameters?

Hi @lily.jiang,

I’m just stepping in for Dane as he’s offline for the day. I’d like to just ask a few questions about your CI/CD process if that’s okay. When you are initiating these builds from VS, are you using build definitions from TFS or another build system? If so, which build system are you using, and do you happen to know the version?

Once we know more about your build we should be able to help you get the parameters for your push to Octopus straightened out. I look forward to hearing back and please let me know if you have any questions for me.

Thanks!
Dan

Hi @lily.jiang,

Thanks for sending that along. Unfortunately, since XAML builds have been deprecated by Microsoft I don’t have anything readily available to look at on my end. I will work to get something set up however so that I can look into what you should be using in your definition for package push command. I will send another update once I have more information for you.

Thanks!
Dan

Hi @lily.jiang,

When you are looking at the build definition through VS do you see anything under the “5.Advanced” option? I’m hoping you see something similar to what is referenced in this XAML documentation. If possible can you send me what is configured there? I look forward to hearing back and please let me know if you have any questions for me.

Thanks!
Dan

Thank you very much!

Hi @lily.jiang,

Just jumping in for @dan_close who is currently off shift as part of our US-based team, I will let him know you have sent over the screenshot and he will continue to work with you to troubleshoot.

I am wondering, in the meantime, if you could test pushing that package out via our Octo CLI just to see if you encounter the same problem when pushing it out from one of our tools.

Let me know how you get on or if you need any guidance in relation to this, since you are not using one of our plugins or tools to push your package to the Octopus server the only thing that we could have changed here is the Octopus Server config itself, you have not mentioned if you have upgraded the Octopus Server recently.

If you have not then nothing from our end could have changed with regards to the package you are trying to push to Octopus.

Kind Regards,

Clare Martin

Hi clare.martin,
The last correct release for the project that’s currently in trouble was January 2016.
The version of the octopus server we are currently using is v2021.1 (build 7316).
The octopus server has undergone several over the past 6 years.
But in the 6 years, the problem project has not released a new version, so no problem was found.
Now, we think a change in command line parameters is causing the problem (please see the top screenshot), but don’t know how to fix it.

Hi @lily.jiang,

I believe that the command just needs to be updated in the TfvcTemplate.12.xaml. Can you download that file from the build definition and see if you can find the nuget push command anywhere? I’m having a hard time finding examples of setups similar to yours so I’m not sure exactly which section of the YAML the command may live. It may be in the “mtba:RunMSBuild” section based on what I can see in my own environment. Please let me know what you are able to find or if you have any other questions for me.

Thanks!
Dan

TfvcTemplate.12.xaml (25.0 KB)

Hi @lily.jiang,

I think it may be best at this point to schedule a quick call to take a look through your build process if that’s ok with you. I have a few more ideas, however, it may save some back and forth to discuss them on the call. I’ve sent you a scheduling link and hopefully, we can find a time that works out. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks!
Dan

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.