Guided Failure questions

I have 2 questions about guided failures

1. Can a deployment using guided failures be set to completely fail after a set period of time if no action is taken
  2. When a step is re-tried is there a way to get the content of the notes made when restarting the step?

Hi jweems,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your query.

Can a deployment using guided failures be set to completely fail after a set period of time if no action is taken

Failed steps must be manually processed if guided failure is enabled. There isn’t an option to set a timeout period so the deployment process will wait indefinitely for a user to resolve the issue.

When a step is re-tried is there a way to get the content of the notes made when restarting the step?

Guided failure steps are treated the same way as manual intervention steps. The notes can therefore be viewed in the audit log and also accessed using the same API calls as a manual step.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Charles

I appreciate the quick response. The lack of a timeout may be a deal breaker for us but it’s good to know there is an AIP to get the notes.

Hi jweems,

Thanks for getting back to me.

It may be possible to use the API as a workaround for the lack of timeout support. You could have a scheduled runbook or a script running on your own infrastructure which periodically polls the API to find deployments that are currently waiting on a guided failure step. The script could then force a failure for deployments which have been in that state for too long.

If this isn’t an option then you might want to post your request for timeout support to https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/ where it can be voted on by other users. This could lead to support being added at some point in the future.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Charles