Git SSH code download from octopus

Hi…We are using git with with SSH authentication. Can you provide an idea on how i can use octopus to get the git pull working with ssh .

Hi Venkatesh, thanks for reaching out.

I’m a bit unsure what your use case here is with GIT, SSH and Octopus. Can you provide some more information to what you are trying to achieve with the files in GIT?

Regards

Matt C

Hi Mathew, i am trying to do git pull using octopus to fetch latest code from git/bitbucket repository. I currently use jenkins to do that because, when i issue a git pull command in octopus, it hangs and will never show any info. I have to force close the deployment.

Hi Venkatesh, there is no special configuration required to run a command like Git from Octopus, so I would recommend a few general steps to try and diagnose the issue.

• Try to run git with the --verbose option to get more information that might identify the root cause.
  • Depending on where you are running the Git command you can change the user that runs tentacle with the instructions at https://octopus.com/docs/infrastructure/windows-targets/running-tentacle-under-a-specific-user-account. If the target machine is a Linux box with SSH then you can connect with a different SSH username. This is especially important if the SSH private key was configured against a specific account.
  • Use an Octopus script step to save the private key, which will ensure that the user that runs the script has access to the key when doing a Git pull.
  • Confirm that the SSH key is not password protected, as Git will then prompt for the password.

Regards

Matt C

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.