Getting "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." when attempting to create a release

Hello, when attempting to create a release for a specific project, the UI, cmd line and API all get the error “Object reference not set to an instance of an object.” We are on Octopus version 2020.5.8. I upgrade from 2020.4.2 just over 24 hours ago. Yesterday, we didn’t notice any problems. But for the project in question, the last release created was yesterday afternoon. More than 8 hours after the upgrade.

We have discovered some additional information. There is an “Upgrade a Helm Chart” in the project’s deployment process. We use this process step a lot and its working in other cases and also in this same project. But when this instance of the process step is disabled, release creation works.

Well, I found the problem. The developer who created the process step, did not set it up correctly. Once the correct parameters values and selections were made, everything is working.

BUT, please can you file a bug on this process step. Showing an error message of “Object reference not set to an instance of an object.” is very distressing in a production deployment context. Thanks!

Hi Bob,

Thank you contacting Octopus Support and sharing what you discovered with this step.

I’ll relay this information to the appropriate team. Would be willing to share more details as to what was filled out incorrectly to generate the error you saw?

If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Donny

Hi Donny,

Yes, it happens when a package and/or file is not found, whether via the Kebernetes Release or Files in Additional Packages (and probably Files in Chart Pakage, but we don’t use that).

The code should catch the error and provide a specific message like “File xyz not found in abc” or “Package xyz not found in Feed abc”

Thanks, Bob

1 Like

Hi Bob,

Thank you for providing the additional details.

Have a great weekend!

Regards,
Donny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.