I am trying to run a Octopus deploy package that will set up a resource group, storage and key vault on Azure. When I create the deployment and try to deploy the package gets downloaded and then the error “Activity Deployment Resources on the Octopus Server failed with error ‘Object reference not set to an instance of an object.’.” appears. I have attached the log of the error and the script I am trying to run. Also I have checked all the variables that I am using and they are in the proper variable sets.
As you can see the first thing I do is print out the variables that I have in the script parameters.
ErrorLog.txt (3 KB)
Deployment_Script.txt (4 KB)
Thanks for getting in touch and providing the log and script! Unfortunately the error showing in your log is pretty generic. Could you also send us a full log with debugging variables enabled? That will give us some more insight to help troubleshoot. The following link to our docs shows the process of turning on these variables, creating/deploying a new Release, and getting the resulting log.
Thanks for your reply. I figured out what the issue was and it is now working properly. The Azure principal name I was using had a period in the name and when I entered it into the variables in Octopus I omitted the period. Once I fixed the name everything worked as it should.
Engineer Software III
2 Corporate Center Drive
Melville, N.Y. 11747
Phone: (516) 577-5532
Mobile: (631) 827-4837
That’s great to hear you got it resolved! Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any further questions.