Generated tentacle install script - Unrecognized command line arguments -start

Hi,

At Octopus version 3.12.5 if you install a tentacle and then produce the installation script the start command is incorrect and is missing a hyphen. This causes an error "Unrecognized command line arguments: -start

The command line generated was:

“C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Tentacle.exe” service --instance “Tentacle” --install --stop –start

Worked around by adding an additional hyphen i…e --start but it would be good to fix this up if not already fixed in a later version.

Cheers,
Blair.

I’ve just noticed on other machines --start does not work but -start does. I’m a bit confused as to what is happening here?

Hi Blair,

Thanks for getting in touch! Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the Tentacle install script.

What I suspect is happening is that along the way the -- is getting turned into an en or an em dash, although I’m not sure why or how this would be happening. I tested with the 3.12.5 Tentacle install and wasn’t able to replicate on any of my test machines, however my local test fleet is quite limited.

Are you able to confirm if this issue occurs with different versions of the Tentacle on the same machines? Compatibility shouldn’t be an issue here as Octopus Server and Tentacles within the same major version (3.x) are all compatible with each other. It would also be useful to know which Operating systems that the issue is occurring from (and if it’s limited to one over another).

If you can let me know the results of your testing so I can attempt to replicate I would be very appreciative,

Regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

I think you’re right. It seems to be when you copy and paste from another source (i.e. outlook/word) which has converted/translated the dash. When I fixed up the source and tried again (i.e. typed out the double dashes) it worked fine.

You can close this issue. Thank-you.

Hi Blair,

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that you found and resolved the issue!

Please let us know if there is anything else you need assistance with,

Regards,

Alex