Gather warnings and errors during a deployment

Hello,

Is there a way (API, Variables, etc.) to gather all errors and warnings during a deployment process?

Hi Boyan,

Thanks for getting in touch! In Octopus we have a variable that is populated with the details of an error when it happens, however as a new error happens we override that variable with the new error.
Outside of Octopus we don’t record errors or warnings apart from in the logs.

How often are you encountering multiple errors in your deployments?

If we had a bit more information on what you are looking to achieve then I may be able to give you a more helpful answer.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

My idea was more about warnings. At the end of my deployment I send an e-mail to some people with information about the deployment itself. I thought about sending a list over all warnings that have occurred during the process. As I am thinking of it, there are not many warnings in my process and it is mainly from custom PowerShell scripts. I was hoping the output to Write-Warning is saved somehow so that I could access it later :slight_smile:

Best,
Boyan

Hi Boyan,

We introduce a fix in last night’s 3.3.20 that makes the variable $OctopusParameters['Octopus.Deployment.ErrorDetail'] actually hold the error message.

You can use that variable to get the error message info and send it on an email.

Thanks,
Dalmiro