Gated Deployments

I’d like to have our deployments to our Testing environment only go through our QA staff so that they control which version they have. To do this I’d like to allow developers to create releases in the Test environment and then have the QA staff be automatically notified that a new release is available. Then they can trigger the deployment when they’re ready. How can I set this up in Octopus? Thanks.

Hi Terrance,

Thanks for reaching out! As of right now, there’s no way to notify when a new release has been created. What you can do is create two steps in your deployment process, both being scoped to your environment:

1. An email step to notify those you want to be able to approve the deployment
  2. Then a manual intervention step to pause the deployment until it’s approved by the team you select

There’s something we’ve been working on lately which I think addresses what you described better, called Subscriptions. The way it works is you “subscribe” to certain events in your Audit Log, such as a release being created, to notify you of that event happening.

We have some of the ideas worked out, and have written about it in a blog post. We’re hoping to have this functionality available soon, but there’s no ETA yet.

I hope this helps! Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with!

Kenny

Thank you very much for your feedback. While what you’ve described isn’t exactly what we were looking to do I think we will be able to set something up that works for our process. Thanks again.

Terrance

Hi Terrance,

Anytime at all! Please let us know if you have any further questions :slight_smile:

Kenny

Notice:

This issue has been closed due to inactivity. If you encounter the same or a similar issue and require help, please open a new discussion (if we asked for logs or extra details in this thread, consider including them in the new thread). If you are the creator of this thread and believe it should not be closed let us know via our support email.