GAC Assemblies Deployment

I have Octopus Deploy and TeamCity setup on my server. I have a .NET solution which is having multiple Projects which result into strong named assemblies. What is the best way to deploy them to Global Assembly Cache (GAC)?
Do I need to create NuGet package using Run OctoPack from TeamCity, If yes then how I can create a single package for multiple assemblies.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out!

If you goal is to create a single package that contains all these assemblies to register them all at once from Octopus, you could create another Library Class project that has references to all the other projects. That way when you build this “Combined” project, Its output will be all the assemblies you need from the other projects. You would only run Octopack from TeamCity against this single project, which will leave you with only 1 package.

Let me know if that approach makes sense to your scenario.

Thanks,
Dalmiro

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my question. Please let me know how I can deploy that package containing assemblies to GAC from Octopus. I guess I can do it using Powershell to install assemblies to GAC but I need to know how it can be done. If there is some other better way then please suggest.

Thanks

Powershell will be the way to go yeah. The approach described in this blog post seems easy enough to implement without having to use gacutil.exe which might not always be on servers.

Thanks,
Dalmiro